It is a pretty normal thing for someone to want to take on a home renovation project on their own. The sense of accomplishment mixed with the pride you get from knowing you did the work yourself feels like a badge of honor. However no one should trade a well done job in for that badge. From siding to roofing every job has its quirks.
Once used only industrially in extreme climates standing seam aluminum roofing has started to become popular as an architectural statement on many personal homes. Installing a roof on your own is a large project and if you are planning on using standing seam aluminum roofing there are things you need to know. Before you begin remember that roofing can be dangerous and that depending on the height and pitch of the roof itself you might want to consider a body harness and a fall protection system.
• Standing seam aluminum roofing comes in many colors and styles. If you are planning to install this yourself they can be ordered and delivered with instructions on how to install each panel. However even with directions you might find it a tedious undertaking and call in a professional.
• Measure your roof and your cut your aluminum roofing exactly to your measurements. If you do not your panels could end up too short and you would be unable to use your ridge gap because it wouldn’t fit over the panels or interlock correctly. Or your panels could be so short that they would be useless or need to be re-cut.
• Always use heavy duty, high quality screws or 3″ framing nails with a double head so that you can remove them easily.
• Install the anchors for your harness as soon as you get onto the roof.
• Prepare your roof by tearing out every old shingle and nails from a previous roof installation because standing seam aluminum roofing cannot be installed over shingles.
• Repair and replace all of the rotten wood.
• Apply roofing paper over the roof sheathing and then the roof valley (where two sections meet at an angle).
• Be careful in wrapping and caulking your chimney as it may leak if not done correctly.
Now begin to follow the instructions on laying the standing seam aluminum roofing. Remember that metal roofing becomes hot very quickly in the right kind of weather so use common sense. If you are uncomfortable with any part of installing standing seam aluminum roofing then please call a professional company. Most of them are quick and efficient, saving you time and hardship. This will also make it easier to choose a manufacturer since most companies that install roofing will stand by and warranty their work. This means that they will use a product you can count on. Do your research before accepting any bid on a home improvement to make sure you have chosen a reputable company.